Jennifer has a background as a producer and programmer of dance including as Director of DanceLive 2014 and Artistic Director (acting) of Citymoves Dance Agency, where she implemented a range of programmes encompassing performance, participation and artist development. Jennifer is passionate about building partnerships across art forms, developing audiences and helping artists to create and showcase new work.
MA Arts, Festivals and Cultural Management; Queen Margaret University
Diploma in Online Marketing, 2014
Festivals, Events and Eventful Communities (Cultural Planning), University of British Columbia
Certificate in Marketing, Chartered Institute of Marketing
BA (Hons) History of Art 2.1: University of Warwick
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT / TRAINING
- International Festival Encounters: Developing Artistic Entrepreneurship, RCS, University of Edinburgh & EIF
- Future Leaders Alumni Programme, Creative & Cultural Skills
- Managing Performance, Momentum Training
- Negotiating and Influencing Skills, Momentum Training
- Future Leaders Programme, Creative & Cultural Skills
- Strategic Marketing, Theatrical Management Association
- Druidstone Essentials of Marketing, Theatrical Management Association
- Matrix 2004/5, Common Purpose
“Jennifer is an unfailing, innovative and inspirational member of the citymoves team.”
Ian Spink, Choreographer/Director, former Artistic Director of Citymoves Dance Agency
“I have worked with Jennifer across several projects at Citymoves Dance Agency. She is always available to lend a hand, fill out a funding application, approve a residency, give feedback on recent works and in general be highly supportive of whatever needs doing. I couldn’t think of very many other people that I would want to work with. Highly recommended!”
Bill Thompson, Sound Artist / Composer
- Fundraising consultancy for NEAT (North East Arts Touring)
- Producer – KaSt Dance Company
- Dance advisor for the final round of the Creative Scotland Bursaries Fund (2014)
- Adviser to Made in Aberdeen Artists’ Bursaries panel (2014)
Director, DanceLive 2013 & 2014
Directing and producing DanceLive 2013 and 2014, Scotland’s leading Festival of contemporary dance. Developing the festival into a nationally renowned event, securing three year funding, commissioning new cross-art form collaborations, increasing international links, profile and audiences.
Acting Artistic Director, Citymoves Dance Agency, February 2013 – July 2014
As Acting Artistic Director, I set the artistic and strategic direction of the organisation, leading a team of Dance Development Officers, support staff and freelance dance artists and teachers, increasing dance activity, provision and standards in North East Scotland. Achievements included:
- Leading the drive to separate Citymoves Dance Agency from Aberdeen City Council and become an independent organisation
- Initiating CPD scheme to provide ongoing training for dance artists
- Creating the March Moves performance series
General Manager, Citymoves Dance Agency, June 2009 – July 2014
As General Manager I was responsible for business planning, fundraising, financial management, marketing, project management and line management of staff.
- Negotiating core funding agreement with Creative Scotland
- Designing and delivering Citymoves business and marketing plans, increasing core earned income by 40% and raising the profile of the organisation
- Produced DanceLive, 2009 – 2012, initiated and produced This is Performance Art (Aberdeen) 2010,
- producing Dance Amazing, a project involving free schools workshops for 20,000 children and a large scale immersive dance based free performance weekend;
- producing and touring Deliberance, the first large scale dance production made in Aberdeen;
- securing over £470,000 of income over the past three years.
Producer, Abderite Theatre Company, May 2008 – December 2010
Producing theatre in education touring shows for schools and new contemporary theatre.
General Manager, Aberdeen International Youth Festival, June 2007 – May 2009
Aberdeen International Youth Festival is an annual multi-art form residential participatory festival, attracting up to 1000 international young people every year
- Planning over 70 events at the Festival, including performances, workshops, sponsors events
- Managing the Dance and Traditional Music Summer Schools and producing the annual opera production
- Managing 60 volunteer staff, interns and contracted artists
- Managing the summer schools, marketing and project budgets
Marketing & Programme Manager, Aberdeen International Youth Festival, January 2002 – May 2007
Responsible for all administration including co-ordinating accommodation, meals and transport for up to 1000 participants and staff, liaising with participants, venues, sponsors, friends committee and trustees. Extended the Festival programme regionally across the North East and showcased local talent. Developed a marketing strategy which achieved growth in press coverage of 85% and an increase in audience numbers of nearly 40%.
Previously: Marketing and Design Co-ordinator, The Almanac Gallery, Gallery Assistant, The Mead Gallery, Warwick Arts Centre, Usherette, Chichester Festival Theatre, Volunteer, Amberley Museum.
DanceLive Festival 2014
DanceLive Festival 2013
March Moves 2014
Dance Amazing (2013)
March Moves (2012-2013)
DanceLive Festival 2009-2012
This is Performance Art (Aberdeen) 2011
Great Big Dance Show Aberdeen 2012-2014
Abderite Theatre, Bogies Brains and Bile (2009)
Exhibition research and design to contextualise ‘Lottie’.